Friday 10 August 1984

Berlin

West Berlin that is, because in those days before the fall of the Wall, I could not enter E. Germany on my passport. But I could transit to enter W. Berlin. The segment was not covered by Eurailpass so I bought a point to point ticket from the closest city in W. Germany, Hannover. I remember the border officials were very intimidating.

This appears to be the World Fountain, part of Europa-Centre.
I contacted a friend of a friend from Australia, and he was kind enough to let me stay at his place. He took me to see the sights mentioned below.

The Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church, in a somewhat underexposed shot.
City night scene.


Checkpoint Charlie. My Berlin friend also took me to see the border crossing inside Friedrichstraße Station. On the way, from the carriage I could see the abandoned subway stations that the W. Berlin subway trains passed through, looking very eerie. I must go see how they have restored those stations now that Germany is reunited again.


Schloß Charlottenberg


Probably taken in the grounds.


This water clock in the Europa-Center was two years old when I saw it.


I thought it was just another traditional farmhouse but a search shows that this is likely the Dahlem-Dorf U-Bahn station.

No comments:

Post a Comment